NPM Austin – Job Board
Choir Director/Music Teacher
School: Holy Family CS/St. Dominic Savio CHS
Contact Person: Mrs. Kelly Laster, Principal
Phone Number: 512-246-4455
Description: The Choir Director/Music Teacher teacher fulfills the mission of the Catholic school by teaching choir classes, and supporting musical productions and Masses for Holy Family Catholic School and St. Dominic Savio Catholic High School. The Choir Director/Music Teacher reports to the principals and has decision-making responsibilities within the framework of school policies, philosophy, organization, and curriculum.
• Supports and upholds the philosophy of Catholic education and the mission of the school.
• Supports and adheres to the Code of Conduct and policies and procedures of the school and Diocese.
• Assists with the school’s musical theatre productions.
• Accompanies weekly school Masses.
• Teaches choir classes for the upper elementary, middle school and high school
• Teaches beginning theater course for high school
• Assists with Advent program (Holy Family) and spring musical theater (St. Dominic Savio)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Must meet the minimum requirements for teaching field as set forth by the Diocese and TCCED
• Must submit an Ethics and Integrity in Ministry (EIM) Application for Ministry within the first week of employment, participate in an EIM Basic abuse prevention training workshop within 60 days of submitting a complete Application for Ministry, and maintain EIM compliance during the entire term of employment.
• Must meet staff development guidelines as set forth by the Diocese and school administration
• Must complete Religion Certification Part 1 within two years of the date of hire, completing a minimum of 25 hours per year.
• Bachelor’s degree in Music Education from an accredited university.
• Previous teaching experience preferred
How to Apply: Please send a resume to: Mrs.Kelly Laster, firstname.lastname@example.org
PK 3 – 8th Grade Music Teacher- Part Time
School: St. Mary’s Catholic School – Taylor Tx
Contact Person: Heidi Altman, Principal
Phone Number: (512) 352-2313
Description: PK3 through 8th grade Music Teacher, approximately 20-25 hours a week.
Planning and implementing music instruction classes for PK3 to 8th grades. Planning and performing music accompaniment for Mass and liturgical events. Planning and leading school-wide performance/musicals (Christmas Musical, Spring Musical, community performances).
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Vocal and instrumental music abilities (piano, keyboard, organ, handbells, orff instruments, recorder, etc). Knowledge of instructional techniques in music for 3 – 14 year olds. Liturgical music performance/planning. Planning, coordination, and leading vocal choirs and instrument performances. Support and adherence to Catholic precepts and faith.
Bachelor’s Degree in Music/Music Education. 18 hours of Education classes or Teacher’s Certification.
How to Apply:
Email resume and cover letter to ATTN: Heidi Altman at email@example.com Call school for more information, if needed. Thank you!
Director of Liturgy and Worship
Parish: St. Austin Catholic Parish
Contact Person: Rev. Charles Kullmann, C. S. P.
Description: The Director coordinates all aspects of parish liturgical celebrations, primarily focusing on the Sunday, Holy Day, and Triduum liturgies. Additionally, the Director collaborates with the music staff of the parish and school and other staff members involved in sacramental preparation.
Duties: Specific Job Responsibilities
- Develops an annual plan for parish liturgies, coordinating the planning effort with parish clergy, other relevant staff (including school staff), and appropriate lay groups. This planning effort will include selecting music, producing worship aides, designing art and environment, and creating liturgical scripts, as necessary.
- In collaboration with parish music staff, selects sacred music for Masses, rituals, and related events, using the criteria of musical excellence, liturgical excellence, and pastoral need. The parish community expects choral anthems to be regularly programmed for the 11:30 a.m. Sunday Mass. The parish community welcomes the occasional programming of instrumental solos, vocal solos, and collaboration with the St. Austin Catholic School choir at a variety of liturgies.
- Recruits, trains, and rehearses cantors for the 5:00 p.m. Saturday and 11:30 a.m. Sunday Masses and choir members for the 11:30 a.m.Sunday Mass. Leads the 11:30 am Sunday choir in rehearsal one evening each week.
- Collaborates with the Organist/Pianist in rehearsals and at liturgical services
- Recruits and supports liturgical ministers through initial and ongoing training and spiritual formation, and ensures that all liturgical ministers (including music ministers) are compliant with the diocesan Ethics and Integrity in Ministry guidelines
- Responsible for the scheduling of parish music staff and liturgical ministers
- Develops a program to train lay leaders as “Mass Coordinators” for the various liturgies and as Liturgical Ministry Training Leaders
- Supervises, collaborates with, and supports the Liturgy Committee and any liturgical subcommittees (e.g., Art & Environment)
- Coordinates rites and liturgical services in conjunction with: a. Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA) Team b. Faith Formation Teams for First Eucharist, First Reconciliation, and Confirmation c. Other Parish organizations or ministries as deemed necessary by the Pastor
- Serves as liaison between the parish and funeral homes and/or families to schedule dates and times for Vigils and Masses of Christian Burial
- Schedules qualified accompanists and cantors to serve at Masses of Christian Burial
- Meets with family members or friends of deceased to assist with preparations for Masses of Christian Burial to:
- Select Scripture readings and music for the Mass
- Develop brief biographical notes about the deceased for use by the Priest and Deacon
- Explain the ways family members may serve in various roles at Mass, if desired
- Works with the Funeral Meal Ministry to provide lunch for persons attending the funeral, if desired
- Plans and coordinates Wedding Liturgies
- Schedules qualified accompanists and cantors to serve at Weddings, if necessary
- Meets with wedding couples to assist with preparations for the liturgical celebration of the wedding
- Helps select and approves appropriate music for the service
- Advises the Parish Wedding Coordinator regarding musical elements of the wedding
- Provides liturgical education opportunities for the parish
- Maintains the parish liturgy budget and oversees the music budget. Responsible for the budget for the 11:30 a.m. Sunday choir and the 5:00 p.m. Saturday and the 11:30 a.m. Sunday cantors; for the selection and purchase of music, robes, and supplies; and for the maintenance of the choral library and robes.
- Maintains current knowledge of liturgical and musical norms through on-going study, research, and professional development training
- Is responsible for ensuring the maintenance of parish supplies (including music supplies), spaces used by music ministers, and the parish sound systems
- Supports opportunities to use St. Austin’s sacred spaces for the reconciliation, evangelization, ecumenical, interfaith, and social justice outreach efforts of the parish
- Develops and maintains good working relationships with the Diocesan Office of Worship, other churches, and the Butler School of Music at The University of Texas at Austin Collaborative Responsibilities
- Collaborates with other relevant parish and school staff
- Provides appropriate scheduling information to relevant staff with respect to liturgical events
- Fosters and facilitates unity of the parish, especially at major liturgical celebrations
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. Strong organizational and leadership skills with the ability to develop and execute short-term and long-term plans, direct and inspire others, and deal with change
2. A knowledge of liturgical practices, especially of the Catholic Church, and an understanding of the General Instruction of the Roman Missal, Sing to the Lord: Music in Divine Worship, and other relevant documents and sacramental rites
3. Strong skills in choral conducting and experience as a choir director
4. Strong knowledge of a broad and diverse range of sacred music choral repertoire
5. The ability to collaborate and work well with others, prioritize tasks, and manage time efficiently
6. Strong interpersonal communications skills with the ability to observe, question, listen, give and accept feedback
7. Functional keyboard skills, appropriate for a choral conductor
1. Bachelor’s degree in Theology, Liturgy, or Music
2. 3-5 years’ experience as Director or Assistant Director of Liturgy or Music
3. 3-5 years’ experience as a choral director
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send a letter of interest and a resume with three references to: Rev. Charles Kullmann, C. S. P. St. Austin Catholic Parish 2026 Guadalupe Street Austin, TX 78705 Fax: 512-477-9430 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Successful candidates will be required to undergo a criminal background check and to maintain compliance with the Diocese of Austin Ethics and Ministry (EIM) policies throughout the employment period.
The NPM Austin Chapter provides free job listings to churches, educational institutions, and other non-profit organizations. If you are interested in posting your position on our website, please visit the Contact Us page and submit your detailed information.
Your position will be posted until filled. When the position becomes filled, please contact us as soon as possible so it can be removed from the website.